Third Party Vendor Users:
It has come to my attention that some departments using third party vendors may not be checking their confirmation email zip files after import. Please be aware that the email received after an import does not guarantee that your incidents were imported. Departments must always open their zip files to check for amount of incidents successfully uploaded, correct dates, errors and exceptions. Please see the document above with directions on how to check your zip files from the import email.
It is imperative that fire departments check the data in the NFIRS database from time to time. Below are instructions on how to use SORT reports to not only check your monthly incident counts, but to look at your data from many different angles:
To check reports by month, follow the instructions below:
- Go to the web based tools at NFIRS.fema.gov: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/data/nfirs/user_tools/index.html
- Scroll down to the Applications and Tools and click on Summary Output Report Tool
- Sign In.
- Pick a summary to run. For incident counts, click "Monthly Incident Counts".
- Select a date range
- Under Incident Status, choose “Valid”, “Invalid” or “All” (based upon what you are looking for)
- Under Release Status, always select “All”
- Under FDID Selection, scroll through the NFIRS-NFDC folder tree until you find your department to select, and then Generate Report.
- To check the status of your report, click on "My Recent Reports" on the left side of the screen
Thank you for helping make NFIRS better and stronger. We not only use and look at statistics on a State level, but trends are evaluated constantly nationally. Please know your contribution of data is making a difference to strengthen the fire service and save lives.
If you have any questions, please contact our office.