Survivor & Burial

The following state and county benefits and programs are available to certain fallen veterans and their survivors. For help in choosing or applying for any of these programs, contact the nearest Veteran Service Officer. Our VSO's are ready and willing to assist in determining your eligibility, discussing available options, and submitting the appropriate application/s.

Global War on Terrorism Survivors Compensation

A $3000 compensation benefit is payable to survivors of military personnel killed in action by terrorist acts or hostile activities during the performance of military service in periods recognized as wartime by a United States campaign or service medals. Residency of 1 year in Illinois prior to entering military service is required. To apply, please contact IDVA's local Veteran Service Office in your area.

Vietnam Veteran Survivors Compensation

Compensation of $1,000 is available to survivors of Vietnam veterans whose death was classified as service-connected by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The veteran must have been a resident of Illinois for 12 months immediately prior to entering service, received the Vietnam Service Medal or Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for Vietnam, and received an Honorable Discharge for service during one of the following periods:

  • Vietnam: January 1, 1961- March 28, 1973
  • Vietnam Frequent Wind: April 29, 30, 1975

To apply, please contact IDVA's local Veteran Service Office.

Cartage and Erection Fees

When the federal government has furnished a headstone or marker, the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs pays up to $125.00 for the setting of such marker. To apply, please contact IDVA's local Veteran Service Office.

Click the following .pdf for the Veterans Grave Registration Form  3WVGR.pdf 

Graves Registration

To preserve the memory of Illinois veterans, the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs maintains a -Roll of Honor- for all veterans buried in the State of Illinois. Individuals and entities responsible for cemeteries in Illinois regularly provide the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs with information regarding veteran burials in order to maintain our -Roll of Honor- up to date. For further information on the -Roll of Honor-, please contact IDVA's local Veteran Service Office.

Indigent Veterans

The county Veterans Assistance Commission shall provide burial for any honorably discharged indigent veteran, or their mothers, fathers, spouse or surviving spouse, or minor children who are without sufficient means to defray the funeral expenses. The expense of such burial to be reimbursed cannot exceed $900. Emergency food, transportation, and other assistance are also provided in certain cases. Please contact your local county Veterans Assistance Commission (VAC) for more information; IDVA's VSO's can assist you in finding your local VAC, as well  click here to start.​​​​