Military Records

Military records heading

The Illinois Department of Veterans? Affairs (IDVA) maintains military records on many Illinois veterans. If you are an Illinois native or have ever visited one of our Veteran Service Officers, we may have a copy of your DD 214 on file and can provide you with a certified copy. If your records are not on file with IDVA, our Veteran Service Officers can assist you in requesting a certified copy from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO.

In addition, we assist veterans to:

  • Obtain a set of duplicate military awards;
  • Acquire copies of their service records and service treatment records;
  • Submit discharge document upgrades; and
  • Request updates to their DD-214?s, such as the receipt of a campaign medal after discharge.

IDVA also utilizes military records to assist other state agencies with the following services:

  • Confirming veterans preference for state employment
  • Validating license plate requests for Illinois veterans
  • Authenticating tax exemption certificates
  • Furnishing veteran burial certificates

Veterans interested in permanently recording and/or storing their service records e.g. DD 214 for future use should visit one of our Veteran Service Officers. In future instances, visit our local veteran service office and request a copy of your service discharge, certify your existing discharge, and/or apply for federal, state, and local benefits.