The Veteran of the Month award program highlights and honors the work of Illinois' veterans whose contributions in service to the veteran community and their local communities are truly above and beyond. Nominees will be evaluated on the basis of their leadership, dedication, innovation, and impact in serving these communities. Award recipients will be those whose efforts add to the powerful narrative that veterans are dedicated, lifelong public servants from whose efforts all of Illinois' communities stand to benefit. In contributing to this narrative through their service to veteran and local communities, Veterans of the Month not only impact the lives of those they serve but also the overall advocacy effort for Illinois veterans.
Past Veteran of the Month Recipients
- The nominee must reside in Illinois and must have received an honorable discharge from the U.S. Military.
- Honorees will be recognized for significant public service contributions made at the local, state or national level and by excellence achieved through action above and beyond the call of duty. Nominees should also have made significant contributions in volunteer work in support of veterans and/or the military.
- In addition to information requested on the nomination form, please provide a copy of the Veteran's DD214 as well as a brief written summary of the nominee's achievements; to include: (a) a description of significant accomplishments, including dates, (b) information concerning military service, and, (c) a list of military awards and decorations received by the nominee.
- Nominations will be evaluated on the scope and impact of a nominees achievements and the extent to which his/her efforts benefit and provide inspiration to their community and other Veterans. Please document significant achievements and accomplishments, especially those made after the nominee's military service.
- Nominations will be reviewed and the recipients will be ultimately chosen by the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs. Nominations are accepted at all times throughout the year.
Nominations should be submitted to:
Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs
Attn: Veteran of the Month
100 West Randolph, Suite 5-570
Chicago, IL 60601-3219