INTRODUCTION: The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for providing outdoor recreation opportunity for the residents of the State. Of particular concern is providing safe hunting areas on public lands throughout the State. This Hunter Fact Sheet contains information relating to general hunting at the Momence Wetlands. This area is generally only accessible via the Kankakee River. The Kankakee River is one of the highest quality rivers in the entire state. The Kankakee River basin boasts a long tradition of hunting dating back to pre-settlement times. Low fall water conditions can make access very difficult. Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been found in Kankakee County. Please have your deer checked. Further information regarding CWD, including sampling locations, can be found at http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Programs/CWD/Pages/default.aspx
Active habitat management will be occurring throughout the year on the
DIRECTIONS: The Site Office is located at Kankakee River State Park 6 Miles west of Bourbonnais on Rt. 102. The site is located 3-4 miles west of the Indiana border along the Kankakee River.
DESCRIPTION OF THE AREA:
Total Acres- 518 Permanent Water 49 Huntable Area- 481.
Habitat Types- Upland woods 60 Bottomland forest/wetlands 400 Grass meadows 21
SEASON, HOURS, AND REGULATIONS:
||SPECIAL RULES/PERMITS |
||Hunters must obtain a Windshield Card online from the Department website. This permit must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the permit number visible and the pocket portion in possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their annual harvest online (even if the hunter did not hunt) by February 15 or two weeks after the season closes for those seasons ending after February 1. Hunters shall forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the above deadline. https://dnr2.illinois.gov/Windshieldcard Coyotes, raccoons, skunks, opossum and fox may be taken by Archery deer hunters while Archery deer hunting.|
||Issued during spring firearm deer lottery. No non-hunters allowed into the field.|
|Turkey Spring &
||Issued during winter turkey lottery for both regular and youth permits. Please pick up site rules and map prior to hunting. Hunters are allowed only 1 non-hunting partner that may call for the hunter. |
||Statewide open, closed during all deer seasons then open until statewide close.
||Hunters must obtain a Windshield Card online from the Department website. This permit must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the permit number visible and the pocket portion in possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their annual harvest online (even if the hunter did not hunt) by February 15 or two weeks after the season closes for those seasons ending after February 1. Hunters shall forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the above deadline. https://dnr2.illinois.gov/Windshieldcard|
||See Separate Fact Sheet
||Hunting by permit only, boat blinds only, sites awarded annually the fourth weekend in July. Site permits issued to successful applicants. No non-hunters allowed into the field.|
GENERAL HUNTING REGULATIONS
All applicable regulations found in the Wildlife Code of 1971, Federal Regulations and Administrative Order 510 apply on this area. Special area regulations established under the authority provided in the above acts may be more restrictive and must be observed. Boat access is allowed.
1. Deer (Archery) you must also report harvest via the state-wide phone in system. Kankakee County. No device may be used to cut or pierce the bark of a tree. You must park in the designated parking lots. Access by boat is permissible. Stands may be left up provided they are marked with your name address and phone number.
2. Deer (Firearm) permits will be site specific issued through the statewide drawing. In addition, successful applicants must obtain a free site registration permit prior to hunting. This permit must be displayed in the windshield while hunting. No device may be used to cut or pierce the bark of the tree. On-site parking is limited to designated parking areas. Boat access is permissible. The site issued registration card must be in your immediate possession while hunting. Please report harvest and effort on permit and return to office upon completion of your hunt. Please include the number of days hunted and your harvest. Stands may be left up during the firearm weekends provided they are marked with your name, address, and phone number.
3. Turkey (Spring and Youth) permits will be site specific, issued through the regular statewide drawing. Hunters must obtain a free registration permit. This permit must be displayed in the windshield while hunting. You must park in the designated parking lots. Boat access is permissible. Your site registration permit must be in your immediate possession.
4. Squirrel hunting is Statewide opening to September 30 and the day after the close of archery deer to statewide close. You may use shotguns or air rifles .25 caliber or smaller. The Red squirrel, a protected species, is found on the area. Do not shoot this small tree squirrel.
5. Waterfowl hunting is closed during the firearm deer seasons; Duck and goose season are only allowed during the central duck and Canada goose seasons respectively. No early duck or goose hunting is allowed, nor snow goose hunting past the close of the central Canada goose hunting season. Hunting is permitted within 10 feet of marked blind sites from boat blind or portable ground blind only. No device may be used to cut or pierce the bark of a tree. No more than 3 persons may occupy a blind. No on site cutting of local plants to build or brush your boat blind.
NO HUNTING WITHIN 100 YARDS OF AN OCCUPIED DWELLING.
FOR THOSE PROGRAMS REQUIRING A SITE PERMIT (WATERFOWL), IN ADDITION TO OTHER STATEWIDE PERMITS, All PERMITS MUST BE MAILED BACK TO THE DISTRICT WILDLIFE BIOLOGIST OR THE SITE BY FEB. 15th OR YOUR HUNTING PRIVILEGES WILL BE FORFEITED FOR THE FOLLOWING HUNTING SEASON. REPORT ALL HARVEST AND EFFORT WHILE ON THIS SITE.