|Title:||Commission on Amateur Sports, Illinois|
|Contact Name:||Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity |
|Function:||The purpose of the Commission is to research, study,
and to make recommendations to the Governor, the General
Assembly, and the Department of Commerce and Economic
Opportunity about the promotion, development, expansion,
hosting, and fostering of amateur sports, amateur sports
programs, and amateur sporting events and tournaments
throughout the State.|
|Term:||Each member of the Commission shall be appointed for a|
2-year term, or until his or her successor is appointed. The
Governor may stagger the members' terms to ensure continuity
in the performance of the Commission's responsibilities.
|Composition:||The Commission shall include the following members:
(1) Four members appointed by the Governor who have
recognized experience in promoting, organizing, or
administering amateur sports programs or other athletic
(2) Two members appointed by the Governor who are
Olympians and who participated in youth sports.
(3) One member of the Senate appointed by the
President of the Senate.
(4) One member of the Senate appointed by the Minority
Leader of the Senate.
(5) One member of the House of Representatives
appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(6) One member of the House of Representatives
appointed by the Minority Leader of the House of
(7) One member appointed by the Governor who
represents an Illinois high school athletic association.
(8) One member appointed by the Governor who
represents an Illinois collegiate athletic association.
(9) One member appointed by the Governor who is a
representative of the Illinois Council of Convention and
Visitor Bureaus or represents any other similar
(10) Fifteen members appointed by the Governor who
shall individually represent one category of the following
amateur youth sports, but shall as a group represent all
of the following categories of amateur youth sports:
(D) Cross country running or other track and field
(O) The Special Olympics.
(b) More than 4 members of the General Assembly may be
appointed to serve on the Commission as long as the number of
members appointed at any time, except during a vacancy,
represent equally each of the majority and minority caucuses
of each house.|
|Chair:||Selected by the Governor|
|Authority:||Public Act 102-511|