|Title:||Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission, Illinois|
|Contact Name:||Rob Olmstead|
|Contact Title:||Executive Director|
|Function:||The Commission shall have the following duties and powers:
(1) To establish the criteria and screening process to be
used to determine which cases shall be accepted for review.
(2) To conduct inquiries into claims of torture with
priority to be given to those cases in which the convicted
person is currently incarcerated solely for the crime to which
he or she claims torture by Jon Burge or officers under his
command, or both.
(3) To coordinate the investigation of cases accepted for
(4) To maintain records for all case investigations.
(5) To prepare written reports outlining Commission
investigations and recommendations to the trial court at the
completion of each inquiry.
(6) To apply for and accept any funds that may become
available for the Commission's work from government grants,
private gifts, donations, or bequests from any source. |
|Term:||1, 2, or 3 years terms will be assigned. Members of the Commission shall serve no more than 2 consecutive 3-year terms plus any initial term of less than 3 years. All terms of members shall begin on January 1 and end on December 31.|
|Composition:||The Commission shall consist of 8 voting members:
(1) One shall be a retired Circuit Court Judge
(2) One shall be a former prosecuting attorney
(3) One shall be a law school professor
(4) One shall be engaged in the practice of criminal defense law
(5) Three shall be members of the public who are not attorneys
and who are not officers or employees of the Judicial branch
(6) One shall be a former public defender
* The members of the Commission shall be appointed by the
Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate. Members
may be re-appointed for additional terms.
*The Governor shall also appoint alternate Commission
members for the Commission members he or she has appointed to serve in the event of scheduling conflicts, conflicts of interest, disability, or other disqualification arising in a particular case.
* The Illinois Human Rights Commission shall provide, directly or through any other State agency, office space for the Commission and the Commission staff|
|Chair:||The retired judge who is appointed as a member shall serve as Chair of the Commission|
|Authority:||775 ILCS 40/15|