Reminder: The Verizon Wireless 3G Network will be shut down as of 12/31/2019. All 3G and older devices must be upgraded to a 4G device to avoid loss of service. Please contact the IWIN Order Desk for assistance with equipment options at 866 791 2772 or IWIN.email@example.com.
DoIT owns and manages the Illinois Wireless Information Network (IWIN) through a unique contractual partnership between the State of Illinois, Verizon Wireless, and Motorola. This network provides a fast, reliable and secure wide area data network to Federal, State, County and local government wireless users within Illinois who require mobile communications. With well over 5,000 units and 12,000 users spanning more than 400 communities, IWIN has grown to be the largest mobile data network in the country.
Equipped with a laptop, portable computer or handheld device, a Verizon modem and Motorola's Premier MDC™ mobile data communications software, users can transmit and receive data using standard Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Through Premier MDC™ software, data from the mobile users is digitized, encrypted and compressed. The data is then transmitted in "packets" using cellular towers to a Motorola message switch server maintained by the State of Illinois. This server links the remote user to the Law Enforcement Agencies Data System (LEADS) and other desired agency databases. The user receives real-time data in an easy-to-use Microsoft-Windows screen.
Improved field operations, management effectiveness and secure interagency communications are just a few of the benefits of using IWIN. Using IWIN as a secondary means of communication also reduces radio channel congestion and enhances personal safety.
Product Features and Descriptions
Secure and Reliable Connectivity
- Dedicated cellular bandwidth and network access
- Full statewide coverage within Illinois for connectivity continuity
- No roaming charges within Illinois
- Secure data access and transmission using password protection and encryption
- Mapping and GPS connectivity during patrol/travel time
- Car-to-car and workstation-to-workstation messaging
- In-vehicle paging
- VZAM Enterprise software
- IWIN Coverage locator
Equipment and Usability
- Use of Motorola's Premier MDC™ software
- Standards-based network allowing use of a variety of laptops, wireless modems and portably-operated equipment
- Text-to-voice module
- Barcode/image capture device interface
- Day/night vision
- Terminal emulation software
Training and LEADS Certification
- Law Enforcement Agencies Data System (LEADS) certification is provided through the Illinois State Police (ISP) by means of computer-based training on IWIN policies and procedures. Following the required certification, LEADS access is granted to the respective customer
Maintenance and Support
- Log on/log off procedures
- Messaging Module
- Mobile Network Issues
Rates and Billing
*Does not include Motorola or CAD/RMS vendor cost
|25 GB Verizon Data Connection*
|LAN-Based Software Maintenance
*This plan throttles when 25 GB of data usage is reached in a billing period.
Ordering and Provisioning
Service can be procured, modified or cancelled by selecting the "Order Services" button near the top of the right pane.
- Service provisioning and implementation
- Incident resolution
- Routine maintenance
- Maintain a master and maintenance contracts with mobile provider(s)
- Develop and implement agency governance to ensure staff compliance with DoIT incident reporting and request requirements
- Obtain IWIN-related equipment directly from the vendor. Laptops used with IWIN should be equipped with modem or USB serial port to provide for the tethering of services. Go to www.cdsofficetech.com for equipment purchasing information
- Review billing for errors and underutilized service and equipment
- Review usage of wireless equipment and relocate or un-install unused or under-utilized equipment
- Ensure all authorized IWIN users are knowledgeable about the IWIN policies and procedures
- Ensure that all authorized IWIN users access the network only with their own user IDs
- Ensure that IWIN is not used for personal or other matters that do not pertain to official criminal justice or public safety activity
- Ensure that all LEADS certifications are current
- Notify the CMS-BCCS Customer Service Center when there are changes in IWIN Coordinator information
Service Levels and Metrics
Staff will respond to service requests during the published business hours. DoIT targets to provision this service as follows:
- Standard setup within 10 days
- New IWIN Department within 5 weeks
Incident Response and Resolution
All incidents reported to DoIT will be captured in the DoIT service management ticketing system and addressed according to the Incident Management Guidelines.
To report an incident, click here Report Problems Form or contact the DoIT Service Desk at 217-524-3648 (Springfield) or 312-814-3648 (Chicago).
This service will be available 24/7 excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events.