Special Enrollment Period - Qualifying Life Events

See if you can get health coverage (healthcare.gov)

When Open Enrollment is over, certain life events may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

  • Losing your job-based health coverage
  • Moving to a new ZIP code or county
  • A student moving from the place they attend school
  • Getting married
  • Divorced or legally separated and lost health insurance
  • Having a baby
  • Adopting a child
  • Turning 26
  • On an ACA Marketplace plan with someone who dies and as a result, you're no longer eligible for your current health plan
  • If you are no longer eligible for Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Becoming a U.S. citizen
  • Leaving incarceration
  • Starting or ending service as an AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA, or NCCC member

If you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, you usually have up to 60 days following the event to enroll in a plan.

When you apply, you may be required to prove your eligibility to enroll based on the life event you experience.